Wednesday 23 October 2013

Poor old Oviedo as fat Al eats in publico

Oh yea and it was superb - ensaladilla rusa - I wanted fabad - the bean stew with meat but I wanted a wee portion and everyone explained I was too big for a wee portion - grandais they said -

I do love the bars in Spain and their attitude to smoking. Some open big patio doors and therefore the whole pub is outdoors, some just leave the door open! It's brilliant. There's no getting away from it. Even if there is an outside curfew they usually leave the windows and doors open to let the bar smell like the good old days. Personally I always choose to eat outside as the other smells blend in better and the flies are all indoors. They hate the acetate and scent of petrol that blows through the air. Like Paris, Oviedo enjoys some masterly 3 lane motorways in the centre of town that come to a crashing halt every 5 minutes when the green man appears and Oviedors Scarper from one side to the other. I joined this running stuff as I'm training for a 10k. I don't know if I'll ever run 10k but I'm keeping the carbs going in just in case. I think I'm on that training downtime just before the run. I do short jogs 10-20m depending if it's a dual carriageway or a tripler

Clearly after 5 of these you need to reload the carbs which is why I'm typing again, munching a little ham sandwich you get given with every glass of wine. I'm also due a siesta. Apparently a big part of 10k right through to marathons is that you need to rest the muscles. I've hardly spoken since I got here so someone will need earplugs when I get back. A wee sleep from 2-4 is fairly mandatory here and with another 6 vino tintos I'll be good until 5pm. I'm off to Santander this afternoon. It's a 140k so I've decided not to jog it, not when there's a bus with my name on it - well not literally, no one in their right mind would call a bus company fatal - it's not really a strap-line that could ever work. Get there quicker with fatal. Rest easy with Fatal, bus that does what it says on the van. I'm sure there are better examples but more importantly I need another wine if I'm to sustain that rest period this afternoon.

I am on bus now and was just singing away. It sounded a bit like, I never felt more like singing the blues - but the words were I never felt more like GerArd DepArdieu, but I probably smell like Danny la rue, I've been shopping .... J'ai chercher parfum, pour vous ..... It goes on a bit, like I do - right siesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment