Friday 8 May 2015

Walking into Burgos

I walked in with Mattheus my German pal today. He was born in East Germany but 4 days before the wall went up his family jumped to west Berlin as refugees. All the rest of his family stayed put so his early life was 6 weeks of joy during the summer holidays when he would visit his grandparents and cousins etc in the east and then have to go back to the west where life was pish. It clearly wasn't quite as iron a curtain as I was brought up to think although I'm sure at some stage he stopped going back, I will ask when next I see him. Nowadays he sees his cousins occasionally but they all thought he was the lucky one. Grass greener is so much a state of mind. His grass like mine is very green on the camino. He has a great sense of humour so today we played the buenos Dias game. All the locals reply but the French say bonjour so we say guten tag etc. needless to say Eddie Izard is quaking in his multi lingual humorous thigh length boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment