Wednesday 22 October 2014

Lentejas

Just after palas del rei finishes and before the climb back up through the forest....this cafe saved me....no soup but it might as well be...yum yum....the thing about Palas del Rei is that you are through it before you know it and then you slide from one side of the huge main road to the other as you walk down the hill out of town.

The big hostal at the bottom of the hill has a beautiful woman in it who served me a fantastic meal, despite me taking my boots of and giving the place the smell even a blue cheese cant deliver. It was abundantly clear I needed to take my boots outside but even there, they could still deliver an aroma to defy the Gods. Oh, happy are the cheese makers, they're making it past St Peter now.....

The climb out through the forest involves crossing the main road again. There's an opportunity to take the wrong path as well but after consultation with the many muddy footprints, I decided the evidence suggested as many people walked back from the path on the right as continued so I took a left and ended up down the hill crossing the main road and walking on to a host of fantastic wee albergues. This stretch involved me having a beer every 20 minutes. The walk was great. Passing two pueblos, where the two private albergues looked superb, I persevered for another hour until  the third pueblo, Casanova, that had the public albergue. Its very much your luck. There were 23 the night I stayed and yet their calendar suggested that there were as many days with 3 staying as 23. On a night with only 3-5 it would be superb. I found out later that Louise the 'stonner' from County Clare had been there the night before I stayed. The night I stayed I had Claudio from Switzerland below me and he was a worried guy. My 16 stone might be an improvement for me but all he could see was 100kg+ falling from a meter above him to crush him through the night. Every time I laughed the mattress sagged and looked like I'd be crushing him. Great place to practice football but best to arrive here early. If there is nobody about, its a quiet retreat, if its already got 8-10 walk on. Its only 1-2 hours until a lot of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment