Saturday 1 October 2022

Godfathers - Helldorado Vitoria gasteiz

What a build up. 40 years later on Deadbeat's been tracking some of our finest and here in Spain we find some. Singer Peter Coyne, guitarists Ritchie Simpson and Wayne Vermaak, bassist guitarist John Priestley erm, my notes are soaked in wine and  drummer Billy duncanson, but it's all about the sound. It's all about the attitude and most importantly it's all about the reception.

And that's where we begin. 

The support act, The Peawees, from la specia in Italy, were brilliant and the crowd let them know. Lots of thrash and old fashioned rock n roll. All the bits in the right order and the crowd knew the words so clearly album sales were going well. I'm no professional as Deadbeat readers know so apologies for my crass observations.

"Walk you through" made me want to get into Camino mode again and I know it's a song I'll be singing with different people and different words!

So many of the choruses seemed to be looking for different verses. I loved both but not always with the ones they had. 

The song 2 earlier had all the excitement building and brilliant easy music was perfectly performed and the balance beautiful but the chorus was just a bit off perfection. There's no suprise about how successful they are and as I said, I know fuck all, I just look at the reaction and the crowd loved it.
The best songs were saved for last with walking through my He'll and their take on, who do you love ? An aft used title and the crowd loved it. Generously the singer got involved with the crowd to let the mutton chopped drummer have centre stage. Fantastic stagecraft and worth the admission money alone.
I've got to tip my hat to helldorado.net as this is a great venue. La Sorbonne back in its day 
The main act were Godfathers and Peter proved poetically the powerhouse they are. He's put together a great band and they are a tight unit, essentially letting the songs sound as sublime as they are. Lou Reed wrote a few good songs in CF and G. As Eric Morecambe famously told Previn - he had the all the notes - and Godfathers have them in the right order.

Transforming writing into the practice and into the gig is an art but transformation of a crowd into ecstasy is what it's all about.

Muy importante!

The reception tonight in Helldorado was stunning. This band have clearly got so much going for them here in Spain and generally on the continent, check out the website, and do the obvious, listen to them.

Music is in their soul and it comes through. The message, the narrative is loud clear and loaded. Waken up!

It's an international language and it's worthwhile just reminding us why we want to hang out with our European friends. Music is our common language. Peter Coyne delivers it.
If I only had time is only song #3 and the crowd are derilious. This is working. A short speech about being back has worked!

OCD, or CDo as my friend Paul calls it produces lots of applause and let's face it, we're not following a wee band.
Track 5 and it's hard to stop enjoying this tsumani to my senses. I knew I'd enjoy it but I'm all over this. Note to self - no longer impartial!
It's an atmosphere

It's electric an now it's walking talking Johnny cash blues


The floor is jumping what a song!
I despair 
People will always despair but the juxtaposition of harsh and melodic always works for me.
Love the clapping
Loving the gig


Mmmm any chance I could stop writing and dance please!

Free entry comes at a price fat boy....





No comments:

Post a Comment