Tuesday 16 January 2024

St Jacques provides Málaga style

An inauspicious start to this Camino as I kept juggling my thoughts.

Frantic is usually how I find myself As I get off a plane and through customs in search of the train or bus to town.

The clock was ticking As it usually does and I was happy in the knowledge I had 10 minutes As I chased the train.

I found the station in the pouring rain and juggled with the ticket machine. Then I was completely baffled by the lack of a slot for my ticket. After trying more barriers I used the ticket like a card.

Surely non, surely Si. 

On arrival at my stop I thought follow the air crew, they'll probably be in a pod and then I forgot and started walking hurriedly as if I knew where to go.

As usual there's two door to the train station and I took the wrong one, crossed the boulevard turned right crossed another boulevard, then right again and crossed the one I just crossed, but at least I was now on the right side.

I carried down this road, turned left, went through three junctions and there it was. M pods, my home for 10 hours.

The pods are interesting. Slightly more refined than an ordinary bunk bed but with the sounds of silence broken by the roller blind, I sensed a fundamental flaw.

Having considered my options I decided I would definitely use my boots and not bare feet to climb the longest ladder ever for a bunk bed. The lower bunks do benefit from a good height.
I showered and wandered out having a wine at my local. It would become my local as I was back there an hour later.

First I wandered the streets up to the bus station and got my ticket for tomorrow. Ironically I ended up using my phone as the over 60's €5 off deal must only work if you've registered.

I had a glass of vino in the bus station cafe with ensaladilla rusa. The wine was a big glass and it tasted like big glasses usually do. I considered getting up for the toilet through the night and left it.
Back down to my local. Small wine but very nice it was and the little tapa for €3 blew the bus station's €6 off the road.

Another visit to the toilet ensued and I hoped that the fruitless strolling round the roundabouts and up the narrow streets were not in vain and indeed my bladder would not feel the need to rain.
When I got in all the pods were busy and shutters down. I tried another visit before climbing to the bed and trying to work the shutter with my toes.
I wouldn't turn the TV on but I did get to sleep and only really woke when I was shouting in a dream. When I saw my surroundings I appreciated it was indeed a dream, gave a glakit stare and went back to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment