Thursday 17 September 2015

San Sebastián- Irun - hendaye - Bayonne - St Jean

San Sebastián- Irun - hendaye - Bayonne - St Jean pied du Porte

Well that was the plan but the bus wasn't booked

It was my plan and like many on the camino it was laid bare and shit.

Other people had booked "our bus" and we were fucked - no room at the inn became no room on the bus - I shouted move right up the bus and duly got arrested


Instead of 11-12:30 in Bilbao and 2-4 to San Sebastián we were on, not the 12:15 but the 15:45, and it got worse.

I bottled it and on the bus I changed and said lets go to Irun- the last stop before hendaye.

Simple you might think but I thought this before we boarded and during our 4 hour journey. I thought it most as we were late into San Sebastián and least when prior to boarding I suggested I'd buy a San Sebastián ticket to Irun "just in case "

Clearly my auntie was a fanny and Irn bru had ensured I inherited the genes.

So we made it to San Sebastián a bit late and I greeted to the driver about needing a ticket for another 24km.

He wanted me off the bus. I bottled it again and said my ankle was sore and I had to climb the Pyrenees- how heartless could he be when he was running late. Then I thought a bit smarter. Knowing he was late I employed the filibuster tactics that rendered him speechless. He motioned feck off and sit down. We did and arrived in Irun.





"He was late" he swore in Spanish

I smiled and thanked him waving my money across my tears of joy

Santiago was only warming up

Too late for the hendaye train I started wondering how bad it could get

Stuck in Spain room in St gien

Then taxi €130 flat fare

Same price as train bus etc

Job done

Phew

Well not quite

Our driver was new

He had asked the other drivers "combien", so clearly never knew the fare or the route

Secondly he missed the signpost and explained he didn't have his glasses

And finally he stopped for a piss as he had just had six beers and "was bursting like the Hoover dam.

We said we were Scottish but he had a line in U.S. Commentary and so we heard about guns schools and basketball in no particular order!

After an hour sitting in the front seat I'd worn out my boots on the pretend brake and we got out of his dangerous weapon to walk to our lodgings

Buen camino

Al


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment