Saturday 3 August 2024

Camino September October 2024

My schedule will be clearer on Tuesday August 13th, when Oncology at the western will hopefully have found and let me know certain bits of key information. Discovery of the primary site for targetting being uppermost in the list, but secondary thoughts extend to have the wisdom and other teeth removal, healed sufficiently to receive radiation and are other teeth in the way. Notwithstanding the Cancer Camino, the Norte, or Camino Francais will still go ahead and this is a rough timescale. Flight or train to Biarritz/Hendaye/Irun. Current prices. Edinburgh to Biarritz, Thursday September 19th 12:35 is £112.99 whereas Monday September 23rd at 13:10 is £33.99. I propse flying Monday and I will book a seat even if I end up not making it. The Santander prices drop on September 30th to £28. The starting point for Edinburgh or London still makes sense to be Soth Western France. There is a big or 2 small days walking from Biarritz, via St Jean de Luz, to Hendaye and Irun. There is a great donativo albergue in Irun with lots of free maps, pilgrim passports and other treasures, as well as the many hotels and apartments. I suggest that this is a great meeting place and the walk to San Sebastian is one Rich and I could describe for ever. Jackie and I stayed at a really good central place in San Sebastian that was not that expensive, monday - thursday so assuming the weekend is not important the monday flight is wise. San Sebastian is an hour from Pamplona. Simon and I stayed at a great wee place in the first town outside Pamplona and so a day in the city followed by a number 7 bus to the door in cizur major is a wise way to prepare for the mountain over to Puente la Reina. Stu, Rich and I missed one of the days on the way to Bilbao but with Simon in tow the mountains from Markina - Xemein to Guernika might not appeal. If I'm not there I'd recommend filling in some the Camino Francais. Rich and I did Maneru (just after Puente LA Reina) to Logrono from our base in Estella. I'd suggest after Puente you walk to Maneru or Lorca and then get the 1pm bus into Logrono and enjoy a day in the city before doing Logrono to Burgos. Monday September 23rd, srrive Biarritz Tuesday 24th arrive Hendaye/Irun Wednesday 25th arrive San Sebastian Thursday 26th arrive Pamplona Friday 27th arrive Puente La Reina Saturday 28th Logrono Sunday 29th Najera or Azofra Monday 30th Santo Domingo de las Calzadas. (stay here or bus to Belorado) Tuesday 1st October Villafranca Montes des Oca Wednesday 2nd arrive Cardenuela Rio Pico or Burgos. At this stage I will pause as I've no idea how long everyone will be out for but I'd hopefully be able to join you on the Tuesday in Villafrance Montes de Oca if I flew out a week later on Sept 30, but thats a big if. From Burgos you can get a fast train back up to Bilbao/Irun so its a good stopping point for Rich if he's on the train. Equally though if we can we carry on. Hornillos del Camino on Friday 4th Catrojeriz on Saturday 5th Fromista on Sunday 6th Arriving Leon Friday 11th October. There's a part of me that says I join you in Bilbao if my treatment takes longer and finishes in October, so the wednesday 2nd or friday 4th October flight. Variables, I like planning around the variables. Its like an never ending debate about the existence of God with a believer. You can chunter all you like but they wont listen to anything but their own voice. That's me and planning. (smiley emoji) The flight to Bordeaux is much more frequent and at only £14 worth considering as a 2 hour train to Biarritz or Hendaye is also do-able.

No comments:

Post a Comment